Receiving Mail & Packages
The following address and format should be used for undergraduate mail. As of Fall 2021, the student's UNI will act as a mailbox number. If you are a junior or senior who was assigned a mailbox number in prior years, please use the below format, using your UNI in place of your mailbox number.
Student’s Full Name
70 Morningside Drive
New York, NY 10027-7236
Note: Web forms may vary in how your address can be submitted. Try to include your full UNI using one of the lines typically provided: either Address 1, Address 2, or Apartment/Suite.
The word "box" should never be used in the address. Mail should never be sent to a student's residence hall address.
Mail Delivery Schedule
The Student Mail Center typically receives one delivery of mail daily. All incoming mail is processed within 24 hours, excluding weekends and University holidays.
All 1st class mail and small parcels are received from the USPS in a morning delivery. Mail received before 12:00 noon is available for student pickup within 24 hours.
Mail received after 12:00 noon is typically available for student pickup the same day, but may not be available until the following day depending on the amount of incoming mail to be processed.
Always wait for a notification from us before coming to pick up your mail. A delivery confirmation email from a vendor does not mean a package is ready for pick-up.
Packages are scanned upon arrival to the Student Mail Center in Wien Hall. Students are notified by email when packages are available for pick-up.
If you have large or numerous packages, visit Columbia Undergraduate Housing's Hospitality Desk in Hartley Hall to borrow a moving bin prior to picking up your package(s) in the Wien Student Mail Center.
If you are a current CC or SEAS student living in Columbia Housing and you require an accessible package locker as an accommodation for a disability or temporary injury, please contact Disability Services at [email protected] or 212-854-2388.
Columbia Mail makes every effort to deliver packages to your room before you arrive on campus. Items received between August 1 and August 15 will be in your room when you check in.
Due to storage limitations, oversized bulk items are kept for up to seven days only. After seven days these items are returned to the sender. Oversized parcels are greater than: 24" x 24" x 24" and/or more than 25lbs.
Students are notified by email upon receipt of a package that is clearly marked "perishable." The Student Mail Center has limited capacity to refrigerate perishables; such deliveries are held for up to seven days, after which they are discarded. Students should ensure that packages containing perishables are properly addressed.
With the exception of oversized parcels and deliveries containing perishables, packages are kept for up to 14 days. If not collected within the first seven days, an email is sent to the student notifying him or her that the package is scheduled for return within seven days. Due to storage limitations, packages cannot be held any longer than prescribed.
After-hours lockers provide access to important mail or packages when the Mail Center is closed. Lockers are located on the lower level of Wien Hall and are available upon request. How it works:
- Lockers are accessible only when the Student Mail Center is closed.
- Locker space is limited and so usage is prioritized for critical needs, such as:
- medication (non-perishable only, lockers are not refrigerated)
- time-sensitive materials (e.g. employment documents, identification)
- items of high value (e.g. cell phone, laptop)
- There are 28 lockers in total, the largest being 22x16x13.5 (LxWxH). Over-sized packages are not eligible for lockers.
- To request a locker, students should reply to the email notification received when mail or a package has arrived.
- Lockers cannot be reserved for mail or packages before they are received and processed at the Student Mail Center.
- Students that are unable to reach high or bend down should indicate that a mid-level locker is needed.
- The email request must be received by 3:00 p.m. the day the locker is needed in order to be considered.
- By 5:00 p.m., Student Mail will send a confirmation email with a 6-digit pin to open the locker.
- If the item is not picked up within 24 hours, it will be removed from the locker and returned to the Student Mail Center for pick up. The student will not receive further email notifications.
Magazines and Newspapers
Magazines and newspapers are held until the next issue arrives. If not claimed, the old periodical is returned to the sender.